Amid the health crisis, those who are informal sector workers are suffering financially. During the community quarantine, they are not allowed to sell or go on trips around the city which mainly provide food on their tables.
“The biggest challenge is that a lot of our constituents cannot work, although they understand why this needs to be done,” Mayor Vico said during a recent press briefing. He also said that the bigger problem arises when people get hungry. With this, they have been giving food packs to their constituents, based on the report from ABS-CBN.
“Next, we’ll have financial assistance for those vendors who can’t sell, as well as for tricycle drivers and jeepney drivers,” Sotto added. However, he did not disclose the amount.
READ: Motel sa Pasig gagawing Quarantine Facility
Previously, the Pasig City government stated that 400,000 food packs will be given to its residents during the lockdown period. Mayor Vico said that they already started distributing the food packs even though lockdown poses a logistical challenge.
The city provided transportation also for its health workers, based on the report. In an earlier report, Vico Sotto said that he doesn’t see the need to have quarantine passes in the city. “Isa pa, useless ang one per household quarantine pass na valid para sa buong quarantine period, dahil tatanungin pa rin naman ng pulis o barangay kung ano ang purpose nila sa paglabas ng bahay,” he reasoned out.
- VICO SOTTO: All Pasig employees to get full pay during COVID-19 quarantine
- Mayor Vico Sotto urge Pasigueños to help spread only truthful information amidst COVID-19 threat
- San Antonio to be the first 'Smart Barangay' in Pasig
- Pasig City started to conduct checkpoints to follow Metro Manila quarantine
- Taguig City to distribute family food packs for Taguigeños