President Rodrigo Duterte has accepted the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force of Emerging Infectious Diseases to extend the suspension of classes in Metro Manila until April 12 in connection with its declaration of Code Red Sub-Level 2 to stop with the spread of COVID-19.
"The suspension of classes in all levels in Metro Manila is hereby extended until April 12, 2020," the IATF resolution said as read by Duterte on Thursday.
The IATF, however, said that all students shall continue to fulfill their educational requirements during said period.
"Provided further that concerned LGUs with supervision of DILG shall be responsible for implementing measures to ensure that students remain in their homes during said duration," it said.
What is Coronavirus?Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
What is COVID-19COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
Symptoms of Coronavirus Disease 2019 / COVID-19Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death.
READ MORE: Everything you need to know about COVID-19
WHAT TO READ NEXT?
- Code Red Sub-Level 2: Duterte announces ‘community quarantine’ vs. COVID-19
- Metro Manila vs NCR - are they different or the same?
- LIST: Cities & Municipalities in Metro Manila (NCR)
- WHO declares coronavirus outbreak as pandemic
- How to avoid COVID-19? Avoid touching 'MEN'
- Coronavirus cases hit 100,000 globally
- 10 Things To Know About Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Malacañang: Hoarders of masks, alcohol will be arrested
- WHO: 70% of Covid-19 infections in China have recovered
This article is written up in support to spread awareness for COVID-19 cases in the Philippines.