This tree in Aurora is said to be the biggest and the oldest in Asia!
Going to Baler, I didn't know that in the nearby town of Maria Aurora can be found this majestic tree in the Philippines - the Millenium Tree. Towering at 65 meters and a crown diameter of 60 meters, it is one of the largest trees in the country.
With such enormous size, it is not really surprising why it is currently dubbed as the biggest Balete Tree not just in the Philippines but in the entire Asia.
For detailed itinerary and complete tourist spots to visit, read my Baler DIY Travel Guide.
Here are more details about the Millenium Tree:
ABOUT BALETE PARK (MILLENIUM TREE)
Balete Park is situated at Barangay Quirino, Maria Aurora and just seven (7) kilometers from the town proper. The park contains more than 600-year-old balete tree that was designated as the official “Millennium Tree” of The Philippines.
|600 years old Balete Tree|
It is the largest tree of its kind in Asia, and it would take 60 grown men, holding one another at arm’s length, to encircle its gigantic trunk. It was so huge that people can pass through inside and navigate its creepy intertwined path inside.
Since the Balete tree has been there for 6 centuries, it has witnessed many events that are probably way beyond our imagination. There are probably some untold stories that only this tree can tell.
Balete tree has always been associated with many local folklores saying that these tress have been the dwelling place of supernatural beings (mga lamang lupa) like Kapre and Tikbalang.
This tree has become one of the popular tourist spots in Aurora and even though it is quite far from Baler, it is definitely a place worth visiting.
WHAT TO PACK FOR MARIA AURORA
Here are some things you might consider bringing with you for your day tour / adventure:
- Stylish face mask
- Water container/tumbler to rehydrate
- Sunscreen for skin protection
- Travel backpack / luggage
- Reusable vacuum storage packs
- Selfie stick
- Acion cam
- WiFi kit
- Power bank
Shopee is my go-to app for things I needed like the ones above. If you'd like discounts and vouchers, you may get the best offers here:
BEFORE GOING TO BALETE MILLENIUM TREE
Here are some things you may consider before visiting this Balete Park in Maria Aurora:
- The Entrance fee to Balete Park as of this moment is Php10 per adult and Php 5 for kids
- You can ask for a tour guide if ever you want to climb the tree. (Not aware with their rate though)
- The place can be very muddy so wearing appropriate footwear is advised.
- There’s a place to shop nearby. Locals are showcasing Aurora’s specialties like the famous Brown-rice Suman, the Pakumbo, fresh coconut and more.
- Free Wifi
- Comfort rooms are available
WHERE TO STAY NEAR MARIA AURORA
Knowing that Baler is one of the top tourist destinations in the country, finding a place to stay here is not really a big challenge but of course, it would be ideal and less hassle to book your reservations as early as possible.
There are many budget hotels, transient houses and of course those luxury hotels to stay in. You can check our list of hotels in Baler and see which one suits your budget.
- Costa Pacifica Resort - Check Rates and Availability
- Nalu Surf Camp - Check Rates and Availability
- Blue Coco Baler Beach House - Check Rates and Availability
- Playa Azul Baler - Check Rates and Availability
- Aliya Surf Camp and Resort - Check Rates and Availability
- Cube Hotel Baler - Check Rates and Availability
HOW TO GET TO MILLENIUM TREE
The Millenium Tree is located at Balete Park in town of Maria Aurora in Aurora Province. The park is approximately 30 minutes away from the town proper of Baler.
From Baler town proper, you can hire a tricyle that can bring you to Barangay Quirino or drop you off directly to Balete Park. Better yet negotiate with the driver and scheduled a pick up time. Or you can book a for a hassle-free Baler Day Tour.
For those who are bringing own vehicle, you may use Waze or Google Maps for directions. If you don’t have a private vehicle, you can rent a car or van here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Related To Sabang Beach
- How old is the Balete tree in Aurora?
The 600-year old Balete Tree in the town of Maria Aurora next to Baler, towers more than five stories high. It is said that it would take 60 people holding hands with arms outstretched to encircle it. Locals claim that it's the largest tree of its kind in Asia.
- Is balete a banyan tree?
his giant of Maria Aurora is balete tree – a kind of banyan (Ficus balete or, possibly – Ficus benjamina0. Often there is mentioned that this is the largest banyan tree in Asia.
- Is balete a tree?
The balete tree (also known as balite or baliti) are several species of the trees in the Philippines from the genus Ficus that are broadly referred to as balete in the local language.
- Is rubber tree and Balete tree the same?
Balete is a shared common name of six balete-species: (1) Ficus benjamina, salisi (2) Ficus elastica, Indian rubber tree (3) Ficus indica, baleteng-baging (4) Ficus payapa, payapa (5) Ficus retusa, marabutan, and (6) Ficus stipulosa, botgo.
ALSO IN BALER
- DITUMABO MOTHER FALLS: Meet the Family of Waterfalls in San Luis, Aurora
- SABANG BEACH: The Birthplace of Surfing in the Philippines
- DIGUISIT BEACH: The Rocky Paradise of Baler, Aurora
- ERMITA HILL: The Story of Tromba Marina and the Survival of 7 Families
- BALER TRAVEL GUIDE: The Ancestral House of Doña Aurora Aragon-Quezon
- CAUNAYAN FALLS: The Relaxing Waterfall of San Luis, Aurora
- DINADIAWAN BEACH: Things To Do and Best Resorts in Dipaculao, Aurora
IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without IMFWJ's notice. Should you know the updated information, please let us know by leaving a message in the comment box below.
WHERE TO STAY IN BALER:
Baler Hotels & Resorts | Baler Transient for Rent
Baler Hotels & Resorts | Baler Transient for Rent
oldest balete tree in the philippines balete tree location balete tree superstition biggest balete tree in asia biggest balete tree in the philippines balete tree scientific name balete tree baler
Let us know your thoughts!