Aurora is known for its beaches and surfing destinations but this province has also other great tourist attractions. This includes some magnificent waterfalls that can be seen in the municipalities of the province and one of them is the majestic Caunayan Falls.
In 2017, my gang (Team Basti), went for a 3-day trip to Aurora including an overnight stay at Dinadiawan Beach in Dipaculao. On our last day, we did not miss to visit to experience Caunayan Falls.
For detailed itinerary and complete tourist spots to visit, read my Baler DIY Travel Guide.
SAN LUIS AND ITS NATURAL BEAUTY
Not known to many, the municipality of San Luis, like Baler, is rich in natural resources and scenic tourist destinations. It boasts crystal clear river system, abundant flora and fauna, charming waterfalls, spring water and the heavily forested terrain.
|Caunayan Falls catch basin|
San Luis is actually the home of the two popular falls in Aurora. The first one is the Ditumabo and the other one is the serene Caunayan Falls which is more accessible. But what really makes Caunayan so special is the serenity of the entire place.
San Luis has five popular tourist destinations. These include the two major waterfalls – the Caunayan falls (also known as L. Pimentel Falls) and the Ditumabo Falls. Ditumabo falls are reachable by crossing rivers, fallen lodges and wooden bridges. It will take you about forty-five minutes to reach the fascinating waterfall.
WHAT TO PACK FOR CAUNAYAN FALLS
Here are some things you might consider bringing with you for your day tour / adventure:
- Stylish face mask
- Water container/tumbler to rehydrate
- Sunscreen for skin protection
- Goggles for swimming or snorkeling
- Stylish Swimsuit
- Travel backpack / luggage
- Reusable vacuum storage packs
- Selfie stick
- Waterproof phone case
- Acion cam
- Camping tent
- WiFi kit
- Power bank
Shopee is my go-to app for things I needed like the ones above. If you'd like discounts and vouchers, you may get the best offers here:
WHAT TO EXPECT AT CAUNAYAN FALLS
The Caunayan Falls is a seven-tier falls but the water coming down is not as wide and appealing as the Ditumabo which I have already visited during my first travel to Baler. Plus the fact that it is more accessible than Ditumabo, it will give you more reason to choose to visit it.
|Entering Caunayan Falls|
The entrance via Amatorio Resort where you have to pay Php20.00 per head and Php100.00 per cottage. The cottages are located along the stream passing to the basin of the falls.
|Downstairs to Caunayan Falls|
From the entrance, you will just have to walk a few steps to reach the stairs heading to the falls.
One thing you will notice upon arrival to the falls, the catch basin is below-the-waist deep you appreciate its crystal clear water and soft sand bottom.
|The strong streams of the river towards Caunayan Falls|
There are just parts of the streams which a bit strong but bearable. Another notable feature of Caunayan Falls are the boulders of huge rocks with varying sizes.
WHERE TO STAY IN BALER
Knowing that Baler is one of the top tourist destinations in the country, finding a place to stay here is not really a big challenge but of course, it would be ideal and less hassle to book your reservations as early as possible.
There are many budget hotels, transient houses and of course those luxury hotels to stay in. You can check our list of hotels in Baler and see which one suits your budget.
- Costa Pacifica Resort - Check Rates and Availability
- Nalu Surf Camp - Check Rates and Availability
- Blue Coco Baler Beach House - Check Rates and Availability
- Playa Azul Baler - Check Rates and Availability
- Aliya Surf Camp and Resort - Check Rates and Availability
- Cube Hotel Baler - Check Rates and Availability
HOW TO GET TO CAUNAYAN FALLS
From Baler town proper, you can hire a jeep or a private vehicle that will take you to Barangay Real in San Luis. From there, you can just walk from the end of the road near the river and you will see the Caunayan Falls.
FROM MANILA TO BALER
Take a transit bus from Cubao via Genesis Bus which will take you directly to Baler. These airconditioned buses has daily trips from 3Am to 7:30 Am with 6-7 hours travel time. The fare would cost you around Php550-600 per head.
For those who are bringing own vehicle, you may use Waze or Google Maps for directions. If you don’t have a private vehicle, you can rent a car or van here.
BEFORE GOING TO CAUNAYAN FALLS
You might be thinking of including Caunayan Falls to your Baler itinerary?
- Caunayan Falls is easier to access than Ditumabo Falls
- The entrance fee to Caunayan Falls is cheaper. (Php 10 for kids / Php 20 for adults)
- Cottage can be rented for Php100 and is good for 5-6 pax.
- The water is only waist-high deep.
- There are publicly accessible comfort rooms nearby.
- No overnight stays.
- Water current is very strong so be cautious especially if you are with kids.
ALSO IN BALER
- DITUMABO MOTHER FALLS: Meet the Family of Waterfalls in San Luis, Aurora
- SABANG BEACH: The Birthplace of Surfing in the Philippines
- DIGUISIT BEACH: The Rocky Paradise of Baler, Aurora
- ERMITA HILL: The Story of Tromba Marina and the Survival of 7 Families
- MILLENIUM TREE: The Enchanting Balete Tree in Maria Aurora, the Oldest in Asia
- BALER TRAVEL GUIDE: The Ancestral House of Doña Aurora Aragon-Quezon
- DINADIAWAN BEACH: Things To Do and Best Resorts in Dipaculao, Aurora
IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without IMFWJ's notice. Should you know the updated information, please let us know by leaving a message in the comment box below.
ditumabo falls dicasalarin bay dibut bay description dicasalarin cove dibut bay san luis, aurora map san luis aurora zip code san luis, aurora barangays san luis, aurora google map san luis, aurora mayor number of barangay in san luis aurora festival of san luis aurora municipality of san luis, aurora