All you need to know about Sta. Cruz Church in Manila, Philippines.
The Our Lady of the Pillar Parish Church, commonly known as the Santa Cruz Church and also designated as the Archdiocesan Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament, is a baroque Roman Catholic parish church in the district of Santa Cruz, Manila, Philippines. It was built when the arrabal (suburb) of Santa Cruz was established by the Jesuits in the early 17th century.
|Inside Santa Cruz Church in 2021|
The church had undergone many repairs and reconstruction, with the last reconstruction done in the 1950s. It is the first Mission and Mother house of Filipino Sacramentinos, making it as the center of Congregation Activities and events.
RELATED: List of Basilica Churches in the Philippines (and Where to Find Them!)
The church façade is topped with a statue of Our Lady of the Pillar, the patroness of the church, whose feast is held every 3rd Sunday of October. On December 7, 2017, Pope Francis granted the Canonical coronation of the venerated image. The current parish priest is Fr. Rudsend P. Paragas, SSS.
On June 3, 2018, as part of the Church-wide celebrations of Corpus Christi, it was officially raised to an Archdiocesan Shrine by the decree of the then-Archbishop of Manila, Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle, in the Archdiocese-wide holiday mass held in the church.
Santa Cruz Church in Details
- Archdiocesan Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament
- Pang-Arkidiyosesis na Dambana ng Kabanal-Banalang Sakramento
- Simbahan ng Nuestra Señora Del Pilar De Manila
- Santuario Arqudiocesano del Santo Sacramento
- Iglesia Parroquia Nuestra Señora del Pilar
- Iglesia de Santa Cruz
Location: Plaza Sta. Cruz, Manila
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Status: Parish & Shrine
Founded: 1768, June 3, 2018 (as a Archdiocesan Shrine)
Dedication: Most Blessed Sacrament, *Nuestra Señora Del Pilar de Manila
Relics held: Peter Julian Eymard, Charles Lwanga
Heritage designation: National Historical Commission of the Philippines
Architectural type: Church Building
Style: Mission Revival
Number of domes: 1
Subdivision: Vicariate of Jose de Trozo
|Heritage marker of the Santa Cruz Church located on the right side facade.|
OTHER CHURCHES TO VISIT IN MANILA
- Manila Cathedral
- San Agustin Church in Intramuros, Manila
- Basilica of the Black Nazarene a.k.a. Quiapo Church in Manila
- Minor Basilica of San Lorenzo Ruiz a.k.a. Binondo Church
- San Sebastian Church in Quiapo, Manila
- Our Lady of Remedies Parish (Malate Catholic Church)
Santa Cruz Church Architecture
The Jesuits built the first Catholic church in the area where the present Santa Cruz Parish stands on June 20, 1619. The original church design was made of stone and wood. The Jesuits enshrined the image of Our Lady of Pilar in 1643 to serve the predominantly Chinese residents in the area.
The first church was made of stone and wood was built in the 17th century. On June 3, 1863, an earthquake destroyed the church. Fr. Agustin de Mendoza began reconstruction work on the church in 1868.
|Domed beflry of|
Santa Cruz Church
located on the right
side of the entrance.
Forming as the pediment, the topmost level has its raking cornice in undulating liens emanating from the broken pediment found above the statued niche. The domed belfry rises on the right in six levels.
The original structure of the church was twice damaged by earthquakes and then completely destroyed during the Battle of Manila.
The present building of the church, reconstructed in 1957, was designed to reflect the Spanish baroque style that Resembles, Architectural style of Spanish missions in California. Art Deco and Romanesque influences the Interior of the Church.
ATTRACTIONS TO SEE IN MANILA
How to Get to Santa Cruz Church
If you're coming from the Monumento or Baclaran areas, take the LRT-1 to Carriedo Station. You will simply walk to the Santa Cruz Parish Church from there. If the LRT-1 is not accessible, you can take a Jeepney to Carriedo.
If you're coming from Antipolo or Rizal, you can take the LRT-2 to Recto Station. You should walk from Recto to AVENIDA and then search for Jeepneys bound for Baclaran, Pier, Mabini, or SM Manila. Request that the driver drop you off at Santa Cruz Parish Church.
For those who are bringing own vehicle, you may follow Waze or Google Maps for directions. There's only a limited parking space.
WHERE TO NEXT?
- VISITA IGLESIA GUIDE: 7 Churches to Visit in Manila (Location & Map)
- PILGRIMAGE: List of Marian Shrines in the Philippines
- MANILA TRAVEL GUIDE: Tourist Spots, Things To Do, Where To Eat and Where to Stay
- REDISCOVER MANILA: 20+ Tourist Spots To Visit At Night (Things To Do & New Places To Go)
- INTRAMUROS GUIDE: Historic Walled City in Manila (What to See & to Do)
ACTIVITIES AND TOURS IN MANILA
Santa Cruz Church
Address: Plaza Sta. Cruz, Santa Cruz, Manila
Phone Number: (02) 8733 0246
Santa Cruz Church Mass Schedule & Other Services
- Monday: 6:30am, 8:00am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm, 5:30pm and 6:15pm
- Tuesday: 6:30am, 8:00am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm, 5:30pm and 6:15pm
- Wednesday: 6:30am, 8:00am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm, 5:15pm and 6:15pm
- Thursday: 6:30am, 8:00am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm, 5:30pm and 6:15pm
- Friday: 6:30am, 8:00am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm, 5:30pm and 6:15pm
- Saturday: 8:00am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm, 5:00pm and 6:15pm
- Sunday (Morning): 6:00am, 7:00am, 8:15am, 9:30am, 10:30am
- Sunday (Afternoon): 12:00nn, 1:00pm, 3:30pm, 4:45pm, 6:00pm & 7:15pm
- Every Sunday 10:30am
- Tuesday: 7:00-8:00am, 11:00am-12:00nn and 4;00-5:30pm
- Wednesday: 7:00-8:00am, 11:00am-12:00nn and 4;00-5:15pm
- Thursday: 7:00-8:00am, 11:00am-12:00nn and 4;00-5:30pm
- Friday: 7:00-8:00am, 11:00am-12:00nn and 4;00-5:30pm Saturday 11:00am-12:00nn and 3;30-4:45pm
- Sunday: 2:00-3:30pm
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
- Monday-Saturday after 8:00am, 1:00pm and 6:15pm masses
Novena to the Mother of Perpetual Help
- Wednesday: 8:30, 10:00, 11:45am, 1:30, 3:00, 4:30, 5:00, 6:00 & 7:00pm
WHERE TO STAY IN MANILA
Here's a list of hotel accommodation you can book in Manila:
- Octagon Mansion Hotel - Check Rates and Availability!
- Bayview Park Hotel - Check Rates and Availability!
- Go Hotels Ermita - Check Rates and Availability!
- City Garden Suites Hotel - Check Rates and Availability!
- Pearl Manila Hotel - Check Rates and Availability!
- Sunny Bay Suites - Check Rates and Availability!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without IMFWJ's notice. Should you know the updated information, please let us know by leaving a message in the comment box below.
Let us know your thoughts!