The Philippines is filled to the brim with natural masterpieces, and Ilocos Norte is no exception. Located at the north of the province is the Kapurpurawan Rock Formation, a work of geological art that would leave every nature loving tourist speechless.
|Kapurpurawan Rock Formation|
With its distinctively white surface and unique shapes, the Kapurpurawan Limestone Formation is a must-see for anyone who wants to see the best of what Ilocos Norte’s environment has to offer.
When you arrive at the site, you will need to take a short hike to get to the actual formation. Don’t worry, your hike will take you through various picturesque landscapes, from lush greeneries to natural pools.
Serving as the grand finale are the rock formations themselves, which are made of white limestones sculpted over thousands of years.
|Kapurpurawan Rock Formation|
They overlook both the sea and the nearby windmills, creating a picture-perfect scene. Walking through the towering structures will make you feel like you’re being embraced by nature!
If you want to experience Ilocos Norte’s natural beauty, make sure you don’t miss the Kapurpurawan Limestone Formation.
WHERE TO STAY NEAR KAPURPURAWAN ROCK FORMATION
Knowing that Pagudpud is one of the top tourist destinations in the country, finding a place to stay here is not really a big challenge but of course, it would be ideal and less hassle to book your reservations as early as possible.
There are many budget hotels, transient houses and of course those luxury hotels to stay in. You can check our list of hotels in Pagudpud and see which one suits your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Kapurpurawan Rock Formation
- What does the term ‘kapurpurawan’ mean?
The word kapurpurawan is derived from Ilocano, meaning white, particularly when the sun is on the natural sculpture because of its colour. It is an emblem of Ilocos Norte, a place of prestige, one of the province's must-visit places.
- Where is Kapurpurawan rock formation located?
Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is located in Burgos, Ilocos Norte.
- What kind of rock is Kapurpurawan?
The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is an art of nature featuring a landscape of smooth ivory limestone produced by the natural process of sedimentation. It's name's root word, “puraw”, is an Ilocano word which translates to “white” because of the alabaster rock formations that the tourists would love to see.
- What caused Kapurpurawan rock formation?
Kapurpurawan Rock Formation was created thousands of years ago by an amass of particles accumulated on the shores by sea waves and wind. It is a lengthy period known as sedimentation in chemistry. It's impressive geological forms and natural features function over a variety of geological cycles.
WHERE TO SEE IT ON MAP
HOW TO GET TO ILOCOS NORTE
LAOAG CITY can be accessed by the following:
- By Land: Partas, GV Florida Transport, Dominion Bus Lines, Philippine Rabbit and Fariñas Transit have regular trips that will take you directly to Laoag City. Travel Time: From Manila to Laoag City, 10-12 hours. So, I advise you to have a night trip for this.
- By Plane. Take a direct flight from Manila to Laoag via Cebu Pacific or Philippine Airlines. Travel Time: From Manila to Laoag City is about an hour. Flights are usually at night, so better make the necessary adjustments on your itinerary.
The Kapurpurawan Limestone Formation is located in the municipality of Burgos. If you’re coming from Laoag City, it will take you around an hour of land travel to get to the attraction.
Powered by 12Go Asia system
WHERE TO STAY IN ILOCOS NORTE
Check out my Ilocos Travel Guide:
- TOP 10 Must-See Sights in Ilocos Norte (Best Tourist Spots!)
- The Sinking Bell Tower of Laoag City
- Bangui Wind Turbines, the First Wind Farm in the Philippines
- Malacañang of the North and the Marcoses
- Patapat Viaduct - Connecting Ilocos and Cagayan Valley
- 4x4 Adventure at Paoay Sand Dunes
- Saint Augustine Church AKA Paoay Church
- La Virgen Milagrosa Chapel of Badoc
- Blue Lagoon, The Boracay of the North
- Kapurpurawan Rock Formation of Burgos
- Cape Bojeador Lighthouse of Burgos
- Marcos Museum and Mausoleum in Batac
- 10 Ilocano Food That Will Make You Crave For
WHERE TO STAY IN ILOCOS NORTE:
Let us know your thoughts!