Here's your ultimate guide to Masbate - an island province in Bicol Region.
Masbate is an island province in the Philippines located near the middle of the nation's archipelago. Its provincial capital is Masbate City. The province consists of three major islands: Masbate, Ticao and Burias. Masbate is at the crossroads of two island groups: Visayas and Luzon.
BEST TIME TO VISIT MASBATE
The best time to visit the island of Masbate in the Philippines is from January until June, August and September and November, when you will have a warm temperature and limited till mediocre rainfall. The highest average temperature in on Masbate is 31°C in May and the lowest is 27°C in January.
Masbate has the tropical rainforest climate prevailing. If you want to know what the average temperature is in Masbate or when most precipitation (rain or snow) falls, you can find a quick overview below. This way, you are well prepared. Our average monthly climate data is based on data from the past 30 years.
WHAT TO BRING TO MASBATE
Here are some things you might consider bringing with you for your day tour / adventure:
HOW TO GET TO MASBATE
Via Land and Sea
Via Legazpi City, Albay/Pilar, Sorsogon
1.You can take a bus going to Legazpi City or Pilar, Sorsogon from Cubao Araneta Bus Terminal.
2. However, if you choose to stop in Legazpi City, you still need to take a van going to Pilar Sorsogon at Legazpi Terminal near Pacific Mall.
3. Alight the bus once you get to Pilar, Sorsogon Port.
4. If you need help with your luggages/bags, porters are just around the area or will even ask you if they can carry your bags. I personally hand them 20 to 30 pesos.
5.Pay P15 port fee in the entrance of the port.
6. Go directly to the Montenegro Ticketing Office for your RORO Ticket or Montenegro Fastcraft ticket. Ask for the estimated time of departure of the RORO or Fastcraft.
7. Patiently wait in the waiting area of the port or check some eatery outside the port.
Check bus routes / trips here:
Note: There are also buses in Cubao terminal which rates already include the fare of RORO to Masbate City. However, if you chose not to take the RORO, there are several scheduled Montenegro Fastcraft going to the city as well.
- Direct to Masbate
If you are heading straight to Masbate City and you want the fastest and most convenient way of traveling to the city, there is a daily flight under PAL Express. Please take note that there is only 1 flight per day, with 1H and 15min duration. Airfare is around P6000 to P7000, one-way.
For airfare and transportation, you may check PISO FARE promos or you can directly compare air, sea and land travel fare and prices here:
- Via Legazpi City
1. If you don't want to travel by bus, but don't want to spend P7000 for a one-way travel, you can always book a flight to Legazpi City via Cebu Pacific, PAL Express and other airlines. Airfare to Legazpi City is much more affordable than that of PAL Express direct to Masbate City.
2.Then, take a van going to Pilar, Sorsogon from the Legazpi or Daraga Terminal.
3. If you need help with your luggages/bags, porters are just around the area or will even ask you if they can carry your bags. I personally hand them 20 to 30 pesos.
4.Pay P15 port fee in the entrance of the port.
5. Go directly to the Montenegro Ticketing Office for your RORO Ticket or Montenegro Fastcraft ticket. Ask for the estimated time of departure of the RORO or Fastcraft.
6. Patiently wait in the waiting area of the port or check some eatery outside the port.
|Katrine Ramirez in Masbate|
THINGS TO DO IN MASBATE
Here are the fun activities you can do and enjoy in Masbate:
- Appreciate Burias Island
- Enjoy the sandbar of Buntod Reef Marine Sanctuary
- Be amazed by Catandayagan Falls
- Discover a hidden paradise at Palani White Beach
- Unwind at Ticao Island
- Experience wild, wild west with Rodeo Festival
- Go for an adventure at Halea Nature Park
- Be a cowgirl and cowboy for a day
- Go to Aroroy Lighthouse
Here's a video clip courtesy of Katrine Ramirez of what to expect in Masbate:
MASBATE 2D1N ITINERARYDAY 0
10:00 pm ETD Manila (from Cubao)
6:00 am ETA Naga Terminal. Upon arriving proceed to Pasacao terminal
6:45 am ETA Pasacao Terminal. Go straight to Pasacao Port
7:00 am From Pasacao Port, ride a passenger boat heading to the town of San Pascual
10:00 am Arrival at the town of San Pascual. Inquire at the tourism office for the island hopping tours
10:30 am Brunch/Look for accommodation
1:00 pm Start Island hopping tours: Tinalisayen and Sombrero Island
6:00 pm Back to San Pascual to freshen up
7:00 pm Dinner
8:00 pm Socials
9:00 pm Sleep
5:00 am Wake up for Animasola
6:00 am Animasola Island
8:30 am Back at San Pasual mainland
9:30 am Depart San Pascual and heading to Pasacao port
12:30 am Arrival at Pasacao port
1:30 pm Arrival at Naga terminal. Late lunch.
2:00 pm ETD Naga terminal
11:00 pm ETA Manila
|Katrine Ramirez in Masbate|
IDEAL BUDGET AND EXPENSES TO MASBATE
- Manila to Naga Php 650 x 2 (But, price may vary from 650-1000 depending with the bus company)
- Naga to Pasacao Php70 x 2
- Pasacao to San Pascual Php 130 x 2
- Meals Php 85/meal x 6 (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)
- Island Hopping Php 3000/6 pax or 500/head
- Lodging Php 200/person/night
- TOTAL = Php 3,000
|Katrine Ramirez in Masbate|
WHERE TO STAY IN MASBATE
Here's a list of best accommodation in Masbate:
- Sabine's Place - Check Rates & Availability!
- Asia Novo Boutique Hotel - Check Rates & Availability!
- Ticao Island Resort - Check Rates & Availability!
- GV Hotel Masbate - Check Rates & Availability!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Masbate
- Is Masbate part of Visayas?
No. Masbate is a province in the Philippines situated in the Bicol Region occupying the southeastern peninsula of Luzon and the outlying island provinces of Masbate and Catanduanes.. Its capital is the City of Masbate.
- Is Masbate a part of Bicol?
Masbate is at the crossroads of two island groups: Visayas and Luzon. It is politically part of Bicol Region in the latter.
- What language is spoken in Masbate?
Masbateño or Minasbate/Masbatenyo is a member of Central Philippine languages and of the Bisayan subgroup of the Austronesian language family spoken by more than 724,000 people in the province of Masbate and some parts of Sorsogon in the Philippines.
- What are the 3 major island in Masbate?
Masbate is a largely rural island province, part of Bicol region in the Philippines. It consists of three major islands: Masbate island proper, Ticao and Burias.
Photos courtesy of Katrine Ramirez. Follow her vlogs here:
Have you already visited Masbate? Share your thought below.
OTHER MUST-SEE ISLANDS IN THE PHILIPPINES
If you love to travel to the Philippines, here are the beautiful islands to visit on your next trip:
- Boracay Island (Travel Guide & Itinerary)
- Coron, Palawan DIY Travel Guide (Things to Do and Accommodation)
- Siargao DIY Travel Guide (Itinerary & Tourist Spots)
- The Hundred Islands in Alaminos, Pangasinan (Travel Guide & Itinerary)
- Cagbalete Island in Mauban, Quezon (Travel Guide & Itinerary)
- Isla Verde in Batangas (Travel Guide & Itinerary)
- Masbate DIY Travel Guide (Tourist Spots & Itinerary)
- Alibijaban Island in San Andres, Quezon (Travel Guide & Itinerary)
- Kalanggaman Island in Palompon, Leyte (Travel Guide & Itinerary)
- El Nido, Palawan Travel Guide & 4D/3N Itinerary
- Maniwaya Island in Marinduque (Budget and Directions)
masbate map masbate luzon or visayas masbate capital is masbate part of luzon culture of masbate masbate municipalities what is masbate known for masbate travel requirements masbate tour package masbate itinerary placer, masbate tourist spots sample itinerary in masbate aroroy, masbate tourist spot masbate itinerary 2022