The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) in the Philippines is a government initiative designed to provide employment opportunities to financially disadvantaged but deserving students during their school breaks.
This program not only enables students to earn income but also equips them with valuable skills and work experience. Here is a comprehensive guide to help you understand and benefit from the SPES program:
Applicants must be:
- Filipino citizens, aged 15 to 30 years old.
- Currently enrolled in school for the ongoing academic year.
- Combined net income of parents or guardians should not exceed the regional poverty threshold.
STEP 1: Inquire at your school or local Public Employment Service Office (PESO) about SPES application schedules.
STEP 2: Prepare necessary documents, including proof of enrollment, birth certificate, and income documents of parents or guardians.
STEP 3: Fill out the SPES application form provided by the PESO.
STEP 4: Submit your application along with the required documents to the PESO.
Applications are evaluated based on financial need and academic standing. Shortlisted candidates may be interviewed to assess their suitability for specific job placements.
Once selected, you will be placed in various government offices, agencies, or private companies that participate in the SPES program. Job assignments should be related to your field of interest or course of study whenever possible.
Work Period and Schedule
SPES employment typically occurs during summer and semester breaks to avoid conflicts with your regular classes.
The work period varies but usually lasts for 20 to 52 days, with a maximum of eight hours of work per day.
Compensation and Benefits
SPES employees receive salary equivalent to the prevailing minimum wage in their region.
The government covers 60% of the salary, while the employer shoulders the remaining 40%.
Participants are entitled to employee benefits such as Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS contributions.
Some regions offer additional skills training and workshops to enhance the participants' employability.
Apart from the work experience, SPES often includes skills development seminars, workshops, and training sessions. Participants can learn essential soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and time management, making them more competitive in the job market.
After the program, participants are encouraged to continue their education or seek employment opportunities with the skills and experience gained from SPES. Some regions offer career counseling services to help participants plan their future careers effectively.
ATTRACTIONS TO SEE IN MANILA
The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is a valuable initiative that not only provides financial assistance to students but also enhances their skills and employability. By actively participating in the program and making the most out of the opportunities provided, students can lay a strong foundation for their future careers.
Through SPES, the youth of the Philippines can embark on a path to success, armed with practical experience and confidence in their abilities.
ACTIVITIES AND TOURS IN MANILA
List of TESDA Scholarship Programs
- Training for Work Scholarship Program (TWSP)
- Private Education Student Financial Assistance (PESFA)
- Special Training for Employment Program (STEP)
- Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES)
- Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act (UAQTEA)
- TESDA Women's Center (TWC)
- Barangay Kabuhayan Skills Training Program (BKSTP)