Social Items

aquaflask vs hydroflask aquaflask store aquaflask website aquaflask price philippines aquaflask review aquaflask sizes aquaflask philippines colors aquaflask color
REMINDER: Due to our situation today with COVID-19 pandemic, some information written below may not apply or be updated. We recommend you check each information with the authorities for latest updates, possible restrictions and requirements needed when you visit a place. Please follow health and safety guidelines implemented in your origin and destination. Stay safe!
puerta real gardens history gate of intramuros painting he was the first governor general of the philippine colony puerta de sta lucia intramuros history who built intramuros intramuros design

Learn more about Intramuros' puertas.


The Gates of Intramuros refer to the original eight gates of the Walled City of Intramuros in Manila, built during the Spanish Colonial Era in the Philippines. The gates are called by the original Spanish word for "gate", Puerta (plural: Puertas).

Loading...

Gates facing the west

Puerta de Banderas

This gate was built in 1662 as the Governor-General's gate when the first Governor's palace was still located in Fort Santiago. It was destroyed during an earthquake and was never rebuilt.

Puerta de Postigo

Postigo means "postern" or a small gate in Spanish. This gate was named after the nearby Palacio del Gobernador. The first postigo was built several meters away but was walled up in 1662 when the present gate was constructed. The gate was then renovated in 1782 under the direction of military engineer Tomás Sanz.

The gate led to the palaces of the Governor-General and Archbishop of Manila. The national hero José Rizal passed through this gate from Fort Santiago to his execution at Bagumbayan field on December 30, 1896. It was damaged in the Battle of Manila in 1945 and restored in 1968. The gate was excavated and restored from 1982 to 1983.


Puerta de Santa Lucia

The gate is one of the original entrances to Intramuros when the walls were built in 1603. It underwent improvements in the late 18th century including the addition of two side chambers added during renovations under by Governor-General José Basco y Vargas (1778-1787). A wooden marker commemorating the gate's new appearance was later installed over the entrance.

The Puerta de Santa Lucia became a popular access point to Malecón Drive, a promenade along the shore of Manila Bay. The whole gate was destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945 to allow the entry of American tanks and troops into the city. The side chambers were restored in 1968 and the gate itself was rebuilt in 1982.


Gate facing the south

Puerta Real

The original Real Gate (Royal Gate) was built in 1663 at the end of Calle Real de Palacio (now General Luna Street) and was used exclusively by the Governor-General for state occasions. It was located west of the Baluarte de San Andrés and faced the old village of Bagumbayan. It was destroyed during the British invasion of 1762 along with the removal of the village.

The Puerta Real was rebuilt in 1780 and moved further west to its present location as part of the new defense plan for Intramuros. During the Battle of Manila, the gate was damaged. It was restored in 1969 with additional work done in 1989.

Cheapest Flights and Airline Tickets Online Booking

Gate facing the east

Puerta del Parián

The gate was named after the "Parián de Arroceros", one of the earliest concentrations of Chinese merchants located across the city where the Metropolitan Theater now stands. Built in 1593, it is one of the earliest entrances to Intramuros. It became the official entrance of the Governor-General in 1764, following the destruction of the Puerta Real during the British invasion. It was here that the newly appointed Governor-General received the keys to the city from the Cabildo.

Puerta del Parián

The gate was severely damaged by artillery fire during the Battle of Manila. Restoration work began in 1967 and was completed in 1982.


Gates facing the north

Puerta de Almacenes

It was built in 1690 for trading with the other side of the river and continually renovated until its completion in 1739. The gate lasted until 1903 when American military engineers demolished the walls for widening the river wharves along Intramuros.


Puerta de Santo Domingo/Puerta de Aduana

This gate named after the nearby old Santo Domingo Church, and built in the 18th century during the renovation of the riverside defenses. It opened to the river wharves, but American engineers tore down the gate and fortifications in 1903 to open a road to Intramuros from Magallanes Drive.

ATTRACTIONS TO SEE IN MANILA 

Klook.com

Puerta de Isabel II

The last gate to be built in Intramuros was opened in 1861 as a solution to the heavy pedestrian traffic outside Parian Gate to the Puente de España (Bridge of Spain) and Binondo. In front of it is the Queen Isabel II statue honoring the then-reigning Spanish monarch.

Puerta de Isabel II

The gate became part of the route of the tranvía (streetcar) system in 19th century Manila. It was damaged during the Battle of Manila in 1945 and was restored in 1966.

ACTIVITIES AND TOURS IN MANILA


Other attractions to see in Intramuros

  • Manila Cathedral
  • Fort Santiago
  • San Agustin Church
  • Casa Manila


Where to Stay in Intramuros

Here's a list of hotels and accommodation inside and nearby Intramuros:



MANILA TOUR

Some other attractions to see and things to do near Intramuros:


IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without IMFWJ's notice. Should you know the updated information, please let us know by leaving a message in the comment box below.

WHERE TO STAY IN MANILA
 puerta real gardens history gate of intramuros painting he was the first governor general of the philippine colony puerta de sta lucia intramuros history who built intramuros intramuros design

PH HISTORIC SITES: The 8 Gates (Puertas) of Intramuros, Manila

puerta real gardens history gate of intramuros painting he was the first governor general of the philippine colony puerta de sta lucia intramuros history who built intramuros intramuros design

Learn more about Intramuros' puertas.


The Gates of Intramuros refer to the original eight gates of the Walled City of Intramuros in Manila, built during the Spanish Colonial Era in the Philippines. The gates are called by the original Spanish word for "gate", Puerta (plural: Puertas).

Loading...

Gates facing the west

Puerta de Banderas

This gate was built in 1662 as the Governor-General's gate when the first Governor's palace was still located in Fort Santiago. It was destroyed during an earthquake and was never rebuilt.

Puerta de Postigo

Postigo means "postern" or a small gate in Spanish. This gate was named after the nearby Palacio del Gobernador. The first postigo was built several meters away but was walled up in 1662 when the present gate was constructed. The gate was then renovated in 1782 under the direction of military engineer Tomás Sanz.

The gate led to the palaces of the Governor-General and Archbishop of Manila. The national hero José Rizal passed through this gate from Fort Santiago to his execution at Bagumbayan field on December 30, 1896. It was damaged in the Battle of Manila in 1945 and restored in 1968. The gate was excavated and restored from 1982 to 1983.


Puerta de Santa Lucia

The gate is one of the original entrances to Intramuros when the walls were built in 1603. It underwent improvements in the late 18th century including the addition of two side chambers added during renovations under by Governor-General José Basco y Vargas (1778-1787). A wooden marker commemorating the gate's new appearance was later installed over the entrance.

The Puerta de Santa Lucia became a popular access point to Malecón Drive, a promenade along the shore of Manila Bay. The whole gate was destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945 to allow the entry of American tanks and troops into the city. The side chambers were restored in 1968 and the gate itself was rebuilt in 1982.


Gate facing the south

Puerta Real

The original Real Gate (Royal Gate) was built in 1663 at the end of Calle Real de Palacio (now General Luna Street) and was used exclusively by the Governor-General for state occasions. It was located west of the Baluarte de San Andrés and faced the old village of Bagumbayan. It was destroyed during the British invasion of 1762 along with the removal of the village.

The Puerta Real was rebuilt in 1780 and moved further west to its present location as part of the new defense plan for Intramuros. During the Battle of Manila, the gate was damaged. It was restored in 1969 with additional work done in 1989.

Cheapest Flights and Airline Tickets Online Booking

Gate facing the east

Puerta del Parián

The gate was named after the "Parián de Arroceros", one of the earliest concentrations of Chinese merchants located across the city where the Metropolitan Theater now stands. Built in 1593, it is one of the earliest entrances to Intramuros. It became the official entrance of the Governor-General in 1764, following the destruction of the Puerta Real during the British invasion. It was here that the newly appointed Governor-General received the keys to the city from the Cabildo.

Puerta del Parián

The gate was severely damaged by artillery fire during the Battle of Manila. Restoration work began in 1967 and was completed in 1982.


Gates facing the north

Puerta de Almacenes

It was built in 1690 for trading with the other side of the river and continually renovated until its completion in 1739. The gate lasted until 1903 when American military engineers demolished the walls for widening the river wharves along Intramuros.


Puerta de Santo Domingo/Puerta de Aduana

This gate named after the nearby old Santo Domingo Church, and built in the 18th century during the renovation of the riverside defenses. It opened to the river wharves, but American engineers tore down the gate and fortifications in 1903 to open a road to Intramuros from Magallanes Drive.

ATTRACTIONS TO SEE IN MANILA 

Klook.com

Puerta de Isabel II

The last gate to be built in Intramuros was opened in 1861 as a solution to the heavy pedestrian traffic outside Parian Gate to the Puente de España (Bridge of Spain) and Binondo. In front of it is the Queen Isabel II statue honoring the then-reigning Spanish monarch.

Puerta de Isabel II

The gate became part of the route of the tranvía (streetcar) system in 19th century Manila. It was damaged during the Battle of Manila in 1945 and was restored in 1966.

ACTIVITIES AND TOURS IN MANILA


Other attractions to see in Intramuros

  • Manila Cathedral
  • Fort Santiago
  • San Agustin Church
  • Casa Manila


Where to Stay in Intramuros

Here's a list of hotels and accommodation inside and nearby Intramuros:



MANILA TOUR

Some other attractions to see and things to do near Intramuros:


IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without IMFWJ's notice. Should you know the updated information, please let us know by leaving a message in the comment box below.

WHERE TO STAY IN MANILA
 puerta real gardens history gate of intramuros painting he was the first governor general of the philippine colony puerta de sta lucia intramuros history who built intramuros intramuros design

No comments

Let us know your thoughts!