The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has recently begun the release of licenses with a 10-year validity period. With it, the release comes a new set of rules that you will need to follow for you to keep the longer validity.
If you haven't got one, you can Apply for a New Driver's License at LTO.
The Demerit System
Demerit points are given to those who commit driving or traffic violations. The importance of the demerit score is to see if the driver is eligible for a 10-year license validity. The scoring system is as follows:
- Light Violations – 1 pt
- Less Grave Violations – 3 pts
- Grave Violations – 5 pts
The consequence of accumulating 10 pts is license suspension, and you will have to undergo a 40 hr reorientation. If you exceed 40 pts, revocation of license is imminent, and you can only apply for a new permit after 2 years.
With that said, if you want to make sure that your license will be valid for 10 years you will need to make sure that you do not commit any violations and to have your required medical exams done regularly.
Violations and their Corresponding Demerit Points
GRAVE VIOLATIONS (5 demerit points):
- Driving a motorcycle with a child aboard on public roads (third and succeeding offenses)
- Using smartphones or an electronic entertainment or computing device while driving (third and succeeding offenses)
- Failure to wear one’s seat belt, including the passenger (third and succeeding offenses)
- Failure to wear a motorcycle helmet to their back rider (third and succeeding offenses)
- Smoke belching (third and succeeding offenses)
- Reckless driving (third and succeeding offenses)
- Driving a motor vehicle used for committing a crime
- Committing a crime while driving a vehicle
- Driving a PUV and collecting fares without a franchise
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, dangerous drugs, or similar substance
- Axle overloading
- Driving an unregistered motor vehicle
- Driving without a valid driver’s license (Who gets the demerit points LMAO)
- Submission of fake documents when applying for or renewing a driver’s license
- Disregarding traffic signs (repeat offenders)
- At a curve
- When the left side is not clear of oncoming traffic,
- at an intersection;
- in a no-overtaking zone;
- within an unsafe distance;
- upon a crest or grade;
- at any railway crossing;
- Not giving way to an overtaking vehicle
- Speeding up when being overtaken
- Cutting an overtaken vehicle
- Failure to yield right of way
- Driving a motorcycle with more than one passenger
- Presentation of fake CPC, OR/CR, plates, stickers, or tags
- Operating a vehicle with defective, improper, or illegal accessories, devices, equipment, or parts
- Carrying illegal or prohibited cargo (Drugs, Illegal Firearms, endangered animals, etc.)
- Unauthorized motor vehicle modification
- Operating a right-hand-drive motor vehicle
- Driving against the flow of traffic
- Fraud concerning the registration or renewal of the registration of the motor vehicle
HELPFUL ITEMS YOU CAN USE FOR DRIVING!
Here's my list of useful items for you and your vehicle:
Shopee is my go-to app for things I needed like the ones above. If you'd like discounts and vouchers, you may get the best offers here:
LESS GRAVE VIOLATIONS (3 demerit points):
- Driving a motorcycle with a child aboard on public roads (second offense)
- Using smartphones or an electronic entertainment or computing device while driving (second offense)
- Failure to wear one’s seatbelt, including the passenger (second offense)
- Failure to wear a motorcycle helmet and their back rider (second offense)
- Smoke-belching (second offense)
- Reckless driving (second offense)
- Intentional Traffic Obstruction
- Illegal Parking
- Allowing passengers on the motor vehicle roof
- Not dimming headlights when approaching another motor vehicle
- Hitching or permitting a bicycle, a person, a skateboarder, a motorcycle, or a tricycle to hitch to a motor vehicle
- Not yielding right of way to pedestrians at a pedestrian crossing
- Not stopping before traversing a “through highway” or railroad crossing
- Not yielding right of way to an ambulance, a police car, or a fire truck
- Not yielding right of way at a “through highway” or a “stop intersection.”
- Not shutting down the engine and engaging the handbrake when the vehicle is unattended
- Failure to attach license plates
- Tampering with license plates
- Load-extending beyond the projected width without a permit
- Operating a bus or truck with cargo exceeding 160kg of its load limit
- Not rendering service to the public or not conveying a passenger to a destination for PUVs
- Trip-cutting for PUVs
- Violations in connection with motor vehicle registration
LIGHT VIOLATIONS (1 demerit point)
- Driving a motorcycle with a child aboard on public roads (first offense)
- Using smartphones or an electronic entertainment or computing device while driving (first offense)
- Failure to wear one’s seat belt, including the passenger (first offense)
- Failure to wear a motorcycle helmet and their back rider (first offense)
- Smoke belching (first offense)
- Reckless driving (first offense)
- Driving in places not intended for traffic or into areas not allowed for parking
- Not carrying a driver’s license or the OR/CR while driving a motor vehicle
- Failure to provide a cover to cargo or freight trucks
- Overtaking on “men working” and “caution” signs
- Not yielding right of way to vehicles on a highway when entering from a private road
- Not using signal lights when turning
- Not following proper lane designation when taking a turn
- Unsafe towing
- Overcharging/undercharging of fare ( God Bless undercharging guy)
- No franchise or certificate of public conveyance carried inside PUV
- Defective, fast, or tampered taxi meter
- Operating without a taxi seal with an old taxi meter or broken seal
- Broken, tampered, joined, reconnected, fake, or altered sealing wire of taxi meters
- Not providing fare discounts to those entitled to them under existing laws and pertinent memorandum circulars of the LTFRB
- No signboard for PUVs
- Pick-up and drop-off of passengers outside the terminal for Busses
- Failure to display fare matrix
- Not displaying the International Symbol of Access inside a PUV, not designating seats for the use of persons with disabilities, refusing to transport PWDs
- Franchise breach of the conditions stated on the 2011 revised terms and conditions on the certificate of public conveyance
- Not displaying a “no smoking” sign and allowing personnel or passengers to smoke inside a PUV
To learn more about fines and penalties, visit - List of LTO Violations, Fines and Penalties for 2023
Checking for Demerits
The process for checking if you have any demerits or violations with your license is pretty straightforward. All you need to do is log onto the LTO LTMS portal and create an account. If you are an older 5-year license holder you may need to update your profile with other missing information but aside from that once you created your profile you are pretty much good to go.
|LTMS Portal Login/Register page|
Registering for LTO’s Land Transportation Management System (LTMS) Online Portal to access the Violation Checker
Here are the easy steps on how to register for LTMS online:
- Go to the LTMS Online Portal and click “Register Now.”
- Read through the terms and conditions and tick the “Yes, I Accept” box if you agree to their terms. Then, write down the Captcha and click “Next” to proceed.
- On the next page, choose whether you are registering as an individual or as the representative of an organization.
- In this case, we shall proceed to register as an individual. Again, fill in the details and double-check for typos and misspells. The first page will ask if you have a license. Click “yes” to input your license details and track your violations.
- Once you are finished filling out the necessary information, the LTO will send an email to verify the validity and your intention to register. Do note that the verification link is only valid for 24 hrs. If not done immediately, you will have to register again.
- Once you click the link, you will be redirected to proceed with your registration by creating a strong password.
- After setting up your password, LTMS will display your profile dashboard.
Checking your LTO Violations Online via the Violation Checker
Verifying your LTO violations online is easy through the checker. First, log in to your account with your driver’s license info, then click on VIOLATIONS. The portal will display your demerit score, fines, and violation history.
If your driver's license has recently expired, go to LTO Driver’s License Renewal (Walk-in and Online Processes)
Acknowledgement: This article is sponsored by Usapang Hanapbuhay.
Bisitahin ang Usapang Hanapbuhay Facebook Group para sa iba pang tips at mga diskarte sa pera!
Like Usapang Hanapbuhay Facebook page for other updates!
how to check license violations online how to check license violations philippines lto portal lto check violation plate number how to check lto violation text www.lto.net.ph verification lto violation check for motorcycle lto demerit points check online ltms portal login lto portal ltms portal registration ltms portal exam ltms portal exam answers ltms portal renewal ltms portal reviewer e-learning ltms portal
Let us know your thoughts!