Wondering what EMBO means in Makati? Here's a thorough explanation.
What is EMBO?
Embo (sometimes capitalized as EMBO; from "Enlisted Men's Barrio") refers to a collective term for barangays administered in a de facto state by the city government of Makati but de jure of the city government of Taguig after the Supreme Court sided with the City of Taguig denying any further legal remedies to Makati.
|Marker of Barangay Cembo|
The barangays were originally established to house military personnel of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. The area is part of the larger disputed Fort Bonifacio area which is claimed by the local governments of Pateros and Taguig. As of April 2023, the barangays are in the process of transition and handover from Makati to Taguig.
Origin of EMBO
The collective for the Embo barangays were derived from enlisted men's barrios (EMBOs).
EMBO in Details
First military settlement (Cembo): 1949
Transfer of control to Makati: 1986
Transfer of control to Taguig (de jure): 2023
Total Area: 3.05 km2 (1.18 sq mi)
- Total: 215,625
- Density: 71,000/km2 (180,000/sq mi)
Barangays (as part of Taguig): 8
- South Cembo
- East Rembo
- West Rembo
|Aerial view of University of Makati and the rest of West Rembo in 2010's|
Meanings of EMBOs
- Central Enlisted Men's Barrio (Cembo & South Cembo)
- Combat Enlisted Men's Barrio (Comembo)
- Riverside Enlisted Men’s Barrio (East Rembo & West Rembo)
- Panthers Enlisted Men's Barrio (Pembo)
Barangay Rizal is named after José Rizal while Pitogo believed to be a local term for a palm plant.
Part of the Embo area was formerly known as Mamancat, Masilang, San Nicolas, and Malapadnabato, respectively, all former parts of the town of Pateros. Mamancat was known as a trading hub alongside its more developed neighbor, Aguho (now Barangay Agujo, Pateros) during the Spanish colonial era.
San Nicolas, which comprises the present-day western portion of West Rembo, is the location of the Ermita de San Nicolas de Tolentino that was established in 1686 and is believed to be first settled by Chinese traders. Malapad-na-bato used to be linked to Pasig via an old bridge. Masilang comprises the present-day South Cembo.
At the end of the Philippine–American War, the United States colonial administration established the Fort William McKinley at the center of present-day Metro Manila. During World War II, the military reservation would be used as the headquarters of the United States Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) until the Imperial Japanese military took over it. After the conclusion of the war, the Philippines would be granted full independence by the United States in 1946 but retained control over its military bases.
Fort McKinley would only be turned over to the Philippine government in 1949. The reservation was renamed as Fort Bonifacio and the government made plans to create settlements for military personnel within the vicinity of the installation.
Cembo would be the first settlements among the EMBO barangays to be established. In 1949, when the first batch of enlisted servicemen from the Infantry Group, Philippine Ground Force from Floridablanca, Pampanga arrived to settle in the area.
In 1954, East Rembo was established as settlements for Fort Bonifacio-based enlisted men serving in the armed forces upon the authorization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines through the office of General Alfonso Arellano, commanding General of Fort Bonifacio.
In 1956, two more more settlements would be authorized: West Rembo and Pitogo.
In 1957, Comembo, in the site formerly known as Mamancat, would be settled by personnel from the Combat Engineering Group of the Philippine Army. In the same year, the area was reserved for military use.
Pembo would be established to for personnel of the First Ranger Regiment, who were also known as the Panthers.
In 1966, Cembo Annex was separated from Cembo proper and was renamed South Cembo.
ATTRACTIONS TO SEE IN MANILA
President Ferdinand Marcos issued Proclamation No. 2475 which transferred control of the Fort Bonifacio area to the municipal government of Makati in 1986 which also reserved the area for military personnel and their dependents.
In 1990, President Corazon Aquino issued Proclamation No. 518 to award land titles in the EMBO area to bona fide occupants.
In February 1996, a new barangay named Rizal was created from Pembo through Makati City Ordinance No. 96-010. Prior to the creation of Rizal, Pembo was larger than the neighboring municipality of Pateros with a land area of 123 hectares (300 acres) and a population of 65,000 in 1995.
|Aerial view of Brgy. Pembo and C-5 Road|
The Fort Bonifacio area including the Embo barangays would be subject of a territorial dispute between the city governments of Taguig and Makati. In 2022, the Supreme Court of the Philippines ruled that Makati should stop exercising jurisdiction over the Embo barangays although the Makati government has maintained that will continue to do so until it exhaust all legal remedies.
In April 2023, the Supreme Court of the Philippines has junked the motion for reconsideration that was filed by the City Government of Makati to override the court's earlier decision, siding with Taguig. The Taguig city government has released a statement "welcoming the new Taguigeños", referring to the residents of the affected Embo barangays, and that they will start working on the transition and handover of the Embo barangays.